Wednesday 15 January 2014

Math Autobiography

I don't remember a whole lot about my experiences with mathematics during my years in primary/elementary school. Number charts and times tables were posted on the walls in almost all of my classrooms and manipulatives such as base ten blocks and money kits were made available to us as well. In the second grade, as a class, we would count to one hundred each morning either by ones, twos, fives or tens - something I can remember enjoying. We would also have a mental math quiz each week, where we would have to write down the answer to an equation that the teacher would say out loud. Sometimes these quizzes would be timed and we would have to finish as many questions as possible within a given time limit. Although I am not sure why, these specific experiences from grade two seem to be all I remember until grades five and six, when math concepts were taught in class and additional examples were assigned from the textbook for practice. 

One of the best memories I have that involves math is when I was chosen for enrichment programs in the elementary grades. Once a week, the students who were participating in the enrichment program were taken from class and taught different concepts that were different from what the rest of the class was learning. One program that I remember doing was about Roman numerals. We learned how to convert our own number system into Roman numerals and did equations using them as well. The opportunity to participate in enrichment programs kept me interested in math throughout the elementary grades. Although I obviously didn't realize it at the time, this was a way for my teachers to address the various learning needs and ability levels of the students in the class. 

Growing up, I always considered myself to be good at math. I was always interested in learning and enjoyed doing the course work and homework. I guess I knew I was good at math because I didn't have to put in any of the extra work that some of my friends had to. Math was always one of my best marks on report cards and as I mentioned earlier, I participated in math enrichment programs during elementary school. My interest in math continued into junior high and high school, right up until I became a university student.

I never really thought much about how my teachers felt about mathematics. Looking back on primary and elementary school, I can only remember my teachers having a positive attitude towards teaching math. If they didn't like teaching it, they didn't show it (and if they did show it, I certainly didn't notice).

For the most part, tests and in-class assignments seemed to be the most common form of assessment throughout my school experience. From primary right up until grade twelve, math tests were frequent and heavily weighted. Open book in-class assignments were common before tests in junior high and high school. Aside from these two types of assessment, I don't really remember there being any other kind. 

As I mentioned earlier, I loved math right up until I became a student here at Memorial. I developed a great relationship with one of my math teachers in high school and it was him who encouraged me to attend MUN when I wasn't sure where I wanted to attend or what I wanted to do in post secondary. Although I received good marks and even took advanced math in high school, I did not feel prepared for the math that I was faced with once I started my first semester of university. 

Here at MUN, I have taken Math 1090, 1050 and 1051. Unfortunately, I failed 1090 in my first semester and felt so discouraged that I didn't bother to retake it. I remember going into my 60% final with a 78 average in the course - somehow I managed to come out of the course with a 45. I have yet to regain enough confidence to retake the course to improve my mark. Having to complete more than ten math assignments throughout the semester for less than ten percent of your final grade was another thing that turned me from taking any additional math courses here at MUN. 

Despite the negative experiences that I have experienced at university, I still love math. Although I have no desire to take another math course on campus (unless I redo 1090), I still use math and have a strong understanding of many of the concepts. I still see it as one of the most important subjects in the school's curriculum and really enjoy having the opportunity to tutor two students (grade 2 and grade 9) in mathematics. I am looking forward to the rest of the semester and am excited to learn more about the teaching of mathematics.

No comments:

Post a Comment